From the (54) Bus Stop Walk Series 1 – Walk 12 Yeovil (Pickettywitch)
Close to the centre of this large town, but surprisingly rural
Country lanes with good views and suburban tarmac paths
Distance 10.5 Km/6.6 miles
Total ascent/descent 132m
- From the bus-stop, Pickettywitch, (GR548172) (former pub now a Tesco store) walk away from Yeovil and 50m (55yds) beyond go R along Alastair Drive, bear R into Alastair Close and follow enclosed path ahead to a road. Go ahead on an enclosed path to reach another road. Go R for 70m (80yds) cross with care and go L into Marsh Lane. Descend gently for 1km(⅔ mile) admiring the view from the drive of Smoke Acre House to reach crossroads by tree with circular seat.
- (GR549186) Go L (SP Yeovil Marsh) and follow road through village for 1km(⅔ mile) to reach the busy and fast A37. Cross with care to lane opposite (no sign). Follow the tarmac 150m(165yds) to Target Farm then go ahead on track for 900m (1000yds) to reach road at a T-junction. Go ahead (no sign) for 800m (½ mile) to reach a cross-roads by the Carpenter’s Arms.
- Go ahead (No Through Road sign) and ascend for 1.1 Km (¾ mile) passing a metal gate across the road and through the intriguingly named Thorne Coffin (1) with its attractive golden ham stone houses including Thorne House (2), to a T- junction.
- Go L (SP Yeovil) and after 200m (220yds) roundabout turn R for 200m (220yds) then L by telephone mast into Stourton Way. Continue past Forde Park, then go R by pedestrian lights to follow a tarmac path. After 100m(110yds) take the L fork to pass the children’s play area and continue ahead to pass houses on the R and a school on the L. At a road, go down the path to the L of the house on the opposite side, passing the Arrow pub and a grassy area on the L. Continue ahead to a road and go ahead into another path and again at the next road to reach the busy Preston Road, with Preston Plucknett church to the L.
- Go down the road to the R of the hairdressing salon opposite and after 70m (75yds) where the concrete road ends, go L on a tarmac track in front of houses and past a grassy area on the R. Continue along the pavement then ahead into another track to reach a crossing road. Go ahead (Tithe Court) and take path to L of number 7. Where the cycleway ends go ahead along road with airfield on R. Opposite Century Park, take the grassy path between stream and hedge to reach Westlands (3) Complex. At the end of car-park go ahead along tarmac path for 500m (550yds) and cross footbridge on L to reach road.
- Go L along the road to reach Preston Grove. Go L for 30m (35yds) then R along Grove Avenue. At the top by the ex-Services Club, go R then L along Willow Road. Fork R by number 28 and take path ahead to another road. Turn R and at crossing road take path ahead to emerge by the Pickettywitch (now Tesco). The bus-stops are to the R.
FOR A SHORTER WALK
Distance 4.8 Km/ 3 miles
Follow to the end of 1, but turn R for 900m (1000yds) to a T-junction. Turn R for 1.4 Km (almost 1 mile) to a junction. Go R (Combe St Lane) and after 800m (½mile) just beyond Marsh Lane, go L along the path to retrace your steps to Pickettywitch.
1 Thorne Coffin acquired its name from the manor of Torne and the Coffin family –originally from Devon, but recorded in Somerset in the 13th Century.
2 Thorne House is Grade II listed and was built in the late 19th century in a neo-Elizabethan style
3 Westlands, through a series of mergers, became AugustaWestland a wholly owned susidiary of Leonardo an Italian helicopter company. Their former social club is now used as an entertainment venue owned by the district council.
For car travellers, park in Alastair Drive, but do not block any drive.
Carpenters Arms, Chilthorne Domer
The Arrow, Abbey Manor Park
Westlands Entertainment Venue