Behind Cow Square is a splendid house, called Donisthorpe House, with high railings around the front. These railings were probably put in place to prevent the livestock that were being sold from destroying the garden.
During the 18th century there was a lot of buildings constructed in Somerton. Many of them were very desirable, including Donisthorpe House. This building was built in 1770 for George Donisthorpe, a Steward to Lord Ilchester.
If we continue down Broad Street, there are buildings which were all once shops. The large bow windows which acted as shop fronts are evidence of this.