The Old Grammar School
Further down the Old Market Street on the left hand side is the old grammar school. The Free School of Somerton dates back to 1675, but didn’t move to this site until 1830, where it stayed until halfway through the 1960’s. In 1965 it moved premises and merged with the girls’ school, which is now the mixed Monteclefe Primary School.
From 1940 the school only taught 7 to 11 year olds, when the children then went to either the comprehensive in Huish Episcopi or to Grammar or Technical schools.
During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Boys Grammar School suffered from mismanagement and corruption, with rumours of accounts being altered and money going missing. Consequently the school failed to perform as well as it should and it was no surprise when it was announced that it was to merge.
The building was then developed and turned into Wessex Youth Club. In 1998 the building was again completely renovated and renamed ‘Wessex Rooms’. It is still the home of the youth club three nights a week.