West Street & Methodist Church

To your right is the Parish Rooms. If we walk around the side into the TSB bank car park, we can see yet another memorial on the side of the Parish Rooms building.

This plaque is to three local townsmen who didn’t return home after the Battle of Sedgemoor in 1685.

If we now follow the road up West Street, we will see what is now the main High Street of Somerton. In centuries past the main commercial part of the town was located to the east of the Market Place, on Broad Street, but this was then changed to West Street, which consist of buildings of all different shapes and sizes.

The first building of note we come across is the Methodist Church (now The West Street Church). This was established in 1845. Methodism was around is Somerton for a long time before this though, meetings being held in local cottages for many years before a proper church was made.

                           Methodist Church                                                               now The West Street Church

 

<< Back | Continue >>