From the (77) Bus Stop WALK 10 KINGSDON
Cary Valley, the Charltons and Lytes Cary.
Easy walking along tracks and country lanes with good views.
Distance 11.0 Km/6.8 miles
Total ascent/descent 73m
- From the bus-stop (GR 516 262) go down School Road opposite the post box passing the village shop and a small green on the R. After 200m (220yds) go L along Middle Street, over a cross roads and at next junction ahead into Underwood Rd. When tarmac ends go ahead into track and through gate (SP Charlton Mackrell). After 550m (⅓mile) cross waymarked stile by metal gate and follow broad grassy track along shallow valley. At next gateway go ahead aiming for large tree in hedge. Cross stile beneath tree and go ahead to go through two gates over the river Cary. Bear slightly R on obvious path across field to go through gate and after 800m (½mile) at farm buildings, go ahead over bridge and follow track to road.
- (GR525283) Go R for 30m(33yds) then bear L through wooden gate (SP Charlton Court). Follow path with metal fence on L. After 250m (275yds) enter enclosed path, which joins a track to emerge at a road. Go L for 75m (85yds) then R along track (SP War Memorial) to emerge at a road. Go L along the road in front of the Memorial, pass under the railway and follow for 450m (500yds) passing Charlton House (1) on the R to reach sharp L bend.
- (GR529291) Go R into Peddles Lane and when tarmac ends go through gate and continue ahead (SP Top Road). At next gate go R to skirt round quarry and cross railway line, then go R and follow track for 400m (¼ mile) to reach Top Road. Go L for 300m(330yds) (but detour R after 50m to visit Charlton Adam church (2) passing The Abbey (3) and turn L into Broad Street by Post Office then sharp R after 100m (110yds) by Corner Cottage.
- (GR538288) Follow 400m(¼mile) to the pub and just beyond car park, go R through Bristol Gate (SP Cedar Lodge), keeping hedge on R. After 400m (¼mile), cross bridge and stile on R and aim to L of tree ahead. Go ahead with ditch on R to reach a stile to an enclosed path to emerge at a tarmac road. Go ahead for 250m (275yds) ignoring R turn but turning L at the end of High Street into Chessels Lane. Follow for 600m (660yds) and at T-junction go R for 50m (55yds) and turn L into track (SP Fosse Way).
- (GR534280) Go along track for 1.1Km (⅔ mile) and watch with care for hedge gap with wooden post with red band. Go R along clear path across field to join hedge on L, passing allotments and soon bearing L to reach a bend in a tarmac road. (Go L to visit Lytes Cary (4). Go R along the track for 400m (¼ mile) to reach imposing gateway at road. Go L and immediately R (SP Kingsdon) and follow for 1 Km (⅔ mile). Do not bear R along Lotment Hill but continue along Lower Rd and bear R by the Kingsdon Inn to ascend Chapel Hill and School Road to reach the bus-sto
FOR A SHORTER WALK
Distance 7.2 Km/ 4.4 miles
Follow to end of point 1. Turn R and follow road for 800m (½ mile) to T junction and turn R (SP Yeovil) and after 100m (110yds) at mini roundabout, fork L. After 400m (¼mile) go R into track at point 5.
1 Charlton House was built by Thomas Lyte in 1726, with later extensions. It is built in local Lias stone and painted Ham stone
2 St Peter & St Paul, Charlton Adam has 14th Century origins with 15th Century additions and was restored in 1892. There is an interesting collection of monuments.
3 The Abbey (Grade I listed) is built on the site of a 12th century chapel. The main building is 16th century.
4 Lytes Cary (Grade I listed) has parts which date from the 14th century. A Great Hall was added in the mid 15th century, and a Great Chamber and other rooms in 1533. The Lytes family sold the manor in the mid-eighteenth century.
For car travellers, park in the old school playground by the village shop in paragraph 1
Fox & Hounds, Charlton Adam Tea Room , Lytes Cary, Kingsdon Inn, Kingsdon