The Red Lion
Continue down the left hand side of the road and we come across the locally famous Red Lion. This was built in 1768 and replaced an older one by Lord Ilchester. The Arms of Lord Ilchester still hang above the door.
This was one of the most popular coaching inns in the town during the 18th century. During this time Somerton had about 16 inns, mostly surrounding the Market Place area. Some of these still survive, such as The White Hart, The Globe and the Red Lion. This was because Somerton was a thriving coaching centre, where travellers would stop to rest, drink and change horses. Somerton was ideal for this, because it was on a main route to many large towns of the time such as London, Exeter, Bath and Bridgwater.
The Red Lion shut down in the early 1990’s, more recently redevelopment took place on the site, with new houses built around the back.